Christkindlmarket Des Moines will take place in Western Gateway Park (just west of the downtown Des Moines Library) December 2 – 4, 2016. There will be something for everyone, so please mark your calendars and invite your friends to Like the Facebook Fan Page.
Dec 2nd, 2016: 11am – 9pm
Dec 3rd, 2016: 11am – 9pm
Dec 4th, 2016: 11am – 5pm
Christmas Market in Jena, Germany
WHAT IS CHRISTKINDLMARKET DES MOINES?
- Mission: Educate, entertain and delight the Midwest by producing Iowa’s premiere German-inspired Christmas market
- 30 vendors (5 food and 15 non food), vending outdoors in stalls
- Kinder Korner: an indoor area where kids can be exposed to various European languages, sing songs, color pictures, hear traditional stories, etc.
- Entertainment: high school choirs, church choirs, carolers dressed in period costume, traditional brass bands, blacksmith demonstrations, bell choirs, etc.
- Google Images of Christmas Markets around the world – http://ow.ly/w2bJZ
WHY PRODUCE THIS EVENT IN DES MOINES?
- A European-style Christmas Market in Des Moines will provide a warm, friendly gathering place for residents and tourists.
- This experience will provide the perfect field trip opportunity for teachers and professors of European languages and cultures.
- Children will be exposed to different cultures through crafts, songs and food, creating an awareness of other cultures.
- Charming Christmas markets are one answer to holiday commercialism. Instead of mass-produced gifts, these markets feature unique, hand-crafted items, purchased from vendors who have often crafted the items themselves.
- Regional businesses will have the opportunity to showcase their seasonal products.